Become an expert in research paper writing
How Interesting Is Your Term Paper Topic?
During your college career there will be times when your professor will assign your term paper topic; other times it will be your choice. In the latter case, students tend to stick with topics they can easily find research on or topics they are very familiar with. Essentially, it does make sense. Why give yourself extra work writing a term paper about a topic you are not familiar with, or a topic where you have no idea where to begin finding the research.
Students tend to forget one of the cardinal rules of writing a term paper; not only does it have to be factual but it should also be interesting. The point of a term paper is to explore ideas and possibly persuade the reader into a certain point of view. Realistically, nobody will want to read a boring paper. These are all reasons why it is important to pick an interesting topic for your term paper.
How to Pick an Interesting Topic
You have heard the saying ‘beauty is in the eye of the beholder’. Well, so is an interesting topic. What one person considers interesting another may deem boring. There are a few different ways to pick an interesting topic. Here are a few suggestions:
- Ask around- If you have a specific genre, criminal justice for example, ask people what they consider interesting or to think of a topic they would like to know more about.
- Woo them with wackiness- If the genre has a niche that is wacky, run with it! It may take a little research to find a wacky aspect but once you find it you will have a great term paper to write.
- Pick something funny- There is a difference between wacky and funny in some cases. If you want an interesting topic, pick one that has some humor behind it.
How to Tell If Your Topic is interesting
Now that you have picked a term paper topic it is time to see if it passes the ‘interesting’ test. Ask yourself some of these questions and you will find out if the topic is interesting:
- Does it make you laugh?
- Will the topic make the reader want to know more?
- Does the topic have some kind of angle?
- When you read it, does it make you say ‘hmm’?
It may take some extra work to pick an interesting topic over a well-known topic, but the pay-off is well worth it!
Term Paper Guides
- How to save your time: write an outline
- Looking for term paper sample
- Fresh topics to write on
- Unusual Psychology topics collection
- Term paper outline samples using
- Picking a new healthcare topic
- Methodology section writing tips
- Term paper APA formatting manual
- Title page formatting guide
- History topics: make it exciting
- Argumentative topics for your paper
- MLA format headings
- Composing an outline
- Sociology project on racism
- An introductory paragraph example
- Case study writing manual
- Purchasing a paper online
- Writing a great term paper in 5 steps
- What makes a good topic
- Thesis statement for your paper
- Terrorism research paper topics
- Topic sentence writing guide
- The basics of APA formatting
- Selecting a term paper topic
- English paper umbrella topics
- 20 Psychology topics
- Trust the professionals
- Choosing a Psychology paper topic
- APA formatting manual
- MLA/APA: formatting guide
- Writing hints: the note cards method
- MLA paper standards
- How to make your topic interesting
When it comes to searching for help to writing essays, be sure to use our free source of tips and guides. Find useful advice on proofreading and start writing at the next level.
© TheCustomerExperienceInstitute.org. Research And Term Paper Writing Tutorials